Monday, November 16, 2009

Blogging with 5th Graders

The blogging with the 5th graders was a fun experience. Of course it has been a while since I have been in 5th grade so it was a nice change to see what students at this age are stressing about, what they love about school, and what they don't like about it. Some of the students that were blogging already know about the "internet language", using smiley faces :) putting "idk" instead of writing out "I don't know". They are using the shortcuts that help them type faster but also may cause an issue if they use this "internet" language in the classroom when writing papers or doing homework.

I definately learned that this can help students with communicating feelings and having fun, while also helping with their language and technology skills. I would absolutely be more apt to use this in my classroom, if I had an older classroom of about 3rd-6th grade, now that I have experienced it myself and experienced the benefits.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Amanda! I think it is important that students learn the proper contexts to use internet language! It's O.K on blogs but not for formal writing in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete